Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to Roddy's Soccer Blog. Starting a blog about soccer is something I have thought about doing for awhile, and after watching an exciting day of Champions League action, I decided to finally do it.

Although I realize this entry will probably be read by about one person (yes, I will make my girlfriend read it), I have spent an inordanent amount of time considering what I should write. I considered writing about why I think Fulham would have been better served keeping Lawrie Sanchez for the remainder of the year. A post about why I think La Liga games need to be televised on ESPN again also crossed my mind, but I suppose the first post should serve more as an introduction.

Some soccer related background information about me is probably the best way to start. Matt Roddy is my name (creative blog title, huh?). I've played soccer since I was 5 in La Crescent, Minnesota. After high school I shifted gears to the coaching side of the game. I started coaching high school soccer at the age of 19, grabbing my first varsity head coaching position when I was 22. I'll be entering my 7th season of coaching high school soccer this fall, hopefully as the head girls soccer coach in Owatonna, Minnesota. I love watching whatever soccer I can. The clubs I support are as follows: EPL--Fulham, Blackburn; Serie A--Roma, AC Milan; La Liga--Barcelona; MLS--Chicago Fire. A fan since I was about 12, Barcelona is the club I follow most ardently. My biggest passion, however, is the US National Team.

Giving potential readers some idea of what to expect to find in a blog is probably the most important of an introduction. For now, expect a mixed bag of all things soccer. I'll likely spend a lot of time writing about my favorite clubs. I am assuming the US National Team will get discussed in this space quite often as well.

I would like to thank all three of you for reading the first post on this blog. I promise it will get better. Comments will always be appreciated.

2 comments:

Ed Hoskin said...

You are truly a soccer geek, though an articulate and passionate one!!

HatterDon said...

Hi Roddy,

Welcome aboard. I'm looking forward to your insights.

Quite a pantheon of sides you support. See if you can add Luton Town Football Club and FC Dallas to that list.